11 JUL 2019: The family of a California woman killed in a shark attack while snorkelling in the Bahamas says the tour company did nothing to help rescue her and staff lacked even a basic first aid kit. One has to feel compassion for this family, but it seems unrealistic to believe a first aid kit of any kind would have been of use in such a catastrophic accident.

In a statement Tuesday, relatives of 21-year-old Jordan Lindsey called on tour companies to change their safety protocols and tourists to be more aware to “ensure a tragedy like this does not happen again.”

“We would not be able to live with ourselves if we didn't speak out and later hear that another family suffered the same devastating loss,” the statement said.

Lindsey Jordan, a student at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, was on vacation with her family when she was attacked inside a roped-off snorkelling area during a day excursion to Rose Island on June 26, the statement said.

Jordan and her mother, Kami, were a good distance away from other snorkellers, and there were no guides or staff members from the tour company, Sandy Toes, in the water with the tour group, the statement said.

To the family's knowledge, nobody saw a shark until the attack, according to the statement.

Kami Lindsey said she swam to her wounded daughter and thought a boat would come to take them from the water. But it didn't appear, she said. Two staff members who were on a hill told the pair to swim toward them “but a shark came between them and again attacked,” she said in the family statement.

She dragged her daughter to shore, where staff members pulled them out of the water.

“There was no medical attention provided to Jordan,” the statement said. “They had no first aid kit - no basic supplies for any type of injury. It felt like a lifetime as they waited for a boat to arrive.”

The family said it hoped that, by addressing Sandy Toes’ lack of emergency resources, the company and others like it would take proactive steps to prepare for emergencies in the future.

A small boat finally arrived, but it lacked any medical or emergency supplies. A towel was used to cover Jordan's injured legs, the family said.

Jordan’s arms, legs and buttocks were bitten, and her right arm was severed, said Paul Rolle, deputy commissioner for the Royal Bahamas Police Force.

Jordan was pronounced dead at a hospital in Nassau.

Despite the severity of the attack, the family said the beach side of the island was not evacuated.

Lindsey’s father, siblings and longtime girlfriend had not gone snorkelling and learned of what happened from people on the beach, rather than directly from the Sandy Toes staff.

“They overheard conversations from others that had been snorkelling and when they noticed people crying, realized the severity of what had happened and soon after, concluded that it was their precious Jordan who the snorkelers were crying for,” the statement said.

The family said tour operations should be required in future to include someone whose job is to spot snorkellers in trouble and watch for predators. The family also wants companies to have clear plans in place for any emergency, to carry medical supplies aboard all tour boats and to require first-aid training for all staff.

An email to Sandy Toes seeking comment was not immediately returned. Their website is still taking reservations for Rose Island tours.

email icon facebook logo twitter logo
comments powered by Disqus